Information About Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2006 after serving 16 years in the House of Representatives. He is the longest serving independent member of Congress in American history. Born in 1941 in Brooklyn, Bernie was the younger of two sons in a modest-income family. After graduation from the University of Chicago in 1964, he moved to Vermont.
Early in his career, Sanders was director of the American People’s Historical Society. Elected Mayor of Burlington by 10 votes in 1981, he served four terms. Before his 1990 election as Vermont’s at-large member in Congress, Sanders lectured at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard and at Hamilton College in upstate New York.
The Almanac of American Politics has called Sanders a “practical” and “successful legislator.” He has focused on the shrinking middle class and widening income gap in America that is greater than at any time since the Great Depression. Other priorities include reversing global warming, universal health care, fair trade policies, supporting veterans and preserving family farms. He serves on five Senate committees: Budget; Veterans; Energy; Environment; and Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.
Issues Important to Bernie Sanders
Connect With Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders in the News
- A Holiday Wish as the Least Productive Congress in History Wraps Up Its Year - PoliticusUSA
- Bernie Sanders Obliterates the Republican Argument Against Raising the ... - PoliticusUSA
- Donovan sounds like a candidate, but for what office? - BurlingtonFreePress.com
- Bernie Sanders on 2016: His Candidacy, Elizabeth Warren and the Clintons - Truth-Out
- Long-Shot Candidates Look To Keep Hope Alive For 2016 - NPR (blog)
- Bernie Sanders Reveals Why He Might Run For President In 2016 - Huffington Post
- Why 2016 is ripe for an independent presidential candidate - The Week Magazine
- Bernie Sanders won't rule out presidential bid, touts Elizabeth Warren - The Hill (blog)
- Bernie Sanders Open To 2016 Presidential Run - Huffington Post
- Sanders wants progressive 2016 presence - BurlingtonFreePress.com
Bernie Sanders Needs Your Support
You are one of 1990 potential voters who have discovered why Bernie Sanders is an important political leader. Bernie Sanders is not the same old, poll tested, corporate backed politician who is only looking out for the self-interest of the few at the expense of the many.
Please take the next important step in supporting Bernie Sanders as a candidate for US Senate by donating time and money to Bernie Sanders's campaign
Also, take a moment to educate your family and friends about the importance of Affordable Housing, Agritourism, Civil Liberties, Economic Equality, Education, Environmental Policies, Fair Trade, Family Farming, Global Warming Reduction, Green Energy, Head Start, Labor Rights, Middle Class Fairness, Net Neutrality, Pell Grants, Sustainability, Unions, Universal Health Care, Veterans Affairs as important campaign issues that Bernie Sanders will work hard to improve, and help make the United States of America a better place for every American, and not just a select few.