Information About Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2006 after serving 16 years in the House of Representatives. He is the longest serving independent member of Congress in American history. Born in 1941 in Brooklyn, Bernie was the younger of two sons in a modest-income family. After graduation from the University of Chicago in 1964, he moved to Vermont.
Early in his career, Sanders was director of the American People’s Historical Society. Elected Mayor of Burlington by 10 votes in 1981, he served four terms. Before his 1990 election as Vermont’s at-large member in Congress, Sanders lectured at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard and at Hamilton College in upstate New York.
The Almanac of American Politics has called Sanders a “practical” and “successful legislator.” He has focused on the shrinking middle class and widening income gap in America that is greater than at any time since the Great Depression. Other priorities include reversing global warming, universal health care, fair trade policies, supporting veterans and preserving family farms. He serves on five Senate committees: Budget; Veterans; Energy; Environment; and Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.
Issues Important to Bernie Sanders
Connect With Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders in the News
- Scoop: Nadler leaning toward IP panel - After nomination, what's next for ... - Politico
- Scoop: Nadler leaning toward IP panel - After nomination, whats next for ... - Politico (blog)
- North Carolina's state education boss wants to exempt teachers from income tax - Daily Caller
- Elbert Guillory: Democrats have ignored problems facing the black community - Daily Caller
- GOP staffer claims to live on food stamps without problems, suggests cutting more - Daily Caller
- Conservatives more racist than liberals, says government-funded study - Daily Caller
- Recall of Colorado gun controller gets enough signatures - Daily Caller
- The 14-year-old kid arrested over his pro-NRA shirt now faces a year in jail - Daily Caller
- 'Obama phones' given to people promising to sell them for drugs, money [VIDEO] - Daily Caller
- Poll: More hearings, please Obama to call for US, Russia to cut nuclear ... - CNN (blog)
Bernie Sanders Needs Your Support
You are one of 1679 potential voters who have discovered why Bernie Sanders is an important political leader. Bernie Sanders is not the same old, poll tested, corporate backed politician who is only looking out for the self-interest of the few at the expense of the many.
Please take the next important step in supporting Bernie Sanders as a candidate for US Senate by donating time and money to Bernie Sanders's campaign
Also, take a moment to educate your family and friends about the importance of Affordable Housing, Agritourism, Civil Liberties, Economic Equality, Education, Environmental Policies, Fair Trade, Family Farming, Global Warming Reduction, Green Energy, Head Start, Labor Rights, Middle Class Fairness, Net Neutrality, Pell Grants, Sustainability, Unions, Universal Health Care, Veterans Affairs as important campaign issues that Bernie Sanders will work hard to improve, and help make the United States of America a better place for every American, and not just a select few.